Manual Upgrade of Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G to Android 4.4 KitKat Firmware
OmniROM 4.4 Porting
Unlike with bigger siblings, Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G differs since it features TI OMAP processor instead of Exynos CPU featured on the international variant of Galaxy S2, GT-I9100. Moreover, it was released back in 2011 that is behind the standard 18-month update period used by most manufacturers.
Owners can use OmniROM 4.4 if they desire to feel Android 4.4 KitKat OS on the smartphone. However, the TI OMAP processor produced the same graphical glitch suffered by Galaxy Nexus build. Aside from that, the OMAP CPU caused some problems with the Google Apps package, battery drain and other incompatibilities using the ROM but other majority of functions are working fine.
1. Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G only. Do not flash this to other variants of Galaxy S2 to avoid consequences.
2. Root and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod to your Galaxy S2.
3. Create a manual backup of all personal information, settings and data files stored on your smartphone.
4. Make sure that the battery life is at least 50 per cent before flashing.
5. Enable USB debugging mode by selecting 'Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.'
6. Download and install the necessary USB drivers for your handset.
7. Download the OmniROM 4.4 firmware and the Google Apps package to your computer.
Warning: Flashing this custom ROM requires manual installation which may damage your device. We are not responsible for any bricking or errors that may occur on your Galaxy S2. Read, understand and follow the instructions carefully to prevent any possible damages. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy the OmniROM 4.4 firmware and Google Apps package then paste it on the SD card of your handset.
3. Disconnect the Galaxy S2 from your computer then turn it off.
4. Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the 'volume up + home + power' keys at the same time.
5. Inside the recovery mode, use the volume keys to navigate and power button to select "backup and restore > backup." It will save a copy of the current ROM which you may restore anytime.
6. Install the firmware by selecting "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > look for the OmniROM 4.4 zip file > confirm installation." Apply the same with Google Apps package.
7. Go back to the main menu then select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition."
8. Select "wipe Dalvik cache."
9. Now reboot your device by selecting "reboot system now."
10. It may take up to five minutes for your phone to reach the home screen.
For any bug reports or comments, send your feedback to OmniROM 4.4 for Galaxy S2 I9100G original XDA developer thread.